It's not my fault, you bastards!

Wait for it!
This page is big
so, it takes a while to load! 


Current Terror Level
Terror Alert Level

I've been alive for:
lifeclock
and counting...

Click for detailed Silverdale, WA Forecast

Disclaimer
 
In case you did not know this from before, I am making sure now that you are aware that this blog is completely mine and mine alone. In other words, I say what I want, to whoever I want, however I want, whenever I want. I am entitled to my own opinions as you are to yours. If you don't like what you read, then please go away and never bother to come back. You were not forced or coerced into coming here and most definitely, you are not obligated to stay. So leave, if you think you should. No if's, no and's, no but's, no exceptions.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Technorati search


Thursday, January 05, 2006

 
Gift cards? No, thanks!

It was my birthday a couple of days ago and someone gave me a gift card for a local business. Frankly, I'd rather have the cash. Or maybe, donate to the Red Cross or other charity in my name. Think about what happened here, my friend has made me into a captive customer of a particular business, one that I would not normally patronize, but now I have to or let the store keep the money as pure profit. My friend gave this store his money to keep and earn interest on the longer I take to use the card to buy things. They hope I NEVER buy anything so they can keep the money. At least, here in Washington State, purchased gift cards can not legally expire, so in theory the card I have will be good forever and my son may inherit it with my estate and even he could choose use it or not. Gift cards given out by a business for being a good customer CAN expire, but one purchased as a gift with cash can NOT expire in the state of Washington. As I understand it, Washington State is one of 2 states which prevent purchased gift cards from expiring by law. I learned this tidbit recently from a local talk show where one of the topics of discussion was "regifting." I admit it, I regift. I do it logically of course. I label what I get (and really do not want exactly) with the date and who it was from with a yellow sticky so I can avoid the embarrassment of giving something to the person who gave it to me or someone who might mention the gift to the person who gave it to me. I've managed to regift several gift cards in this manner with ones on which my name was not embossed or printed directly on the card. I have to admit, I like the plastic gift cards the best as they look and feel like a credit card. Gift certificates are a whole other matter as they CAN expire even though purchased with cash money. The bottom line is this; I'll regift a gift card if I can but I'll use a gift certificate since I can't regift a gift certificate since it has my name on it. I'll still have bad feelings about you if you give me something with my name on it since you have made me a captive customer though. Be warned.


Comments: Post a Comment